It is currently October 16th, 2017, 10:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Free 82 for Parts in South Carolina
PostPosted: April 26th, 2015, 1:29 pm 

Hello all,

I have an 82 Prelude that's unfortunately on it's way to the scrap yard but I wanted to see if anyone in the community would like to take it or pull parts from it first.

The story behind this car is that I am the second owner after buying it from a little old lady in 97. It only had 80k miles on it at the time and the little old lady told me it was their family's secondary car and the majority of the miles came from her winter drives down to Florida from Indiana. At the time the car was show room mint and she mentioned she only used the back seats one time for her grand kids.

I loved this car but treated it like most dumb ass seventeen year olds do their first car and didn't appreciate what I had when I had it. I got in a minor front end accident and had to replace the front clip, hence the silver fenders. After owning it for 8 or 9 years it needed a paint job, new carpet, and the front seats needed re-upholstering and she would have been good to go.

Knowing I wanted to restore it but I was heading off to school in California, my brother offered to store it on his property in SC. Initially he would start it up every month or so, drive it around and do basic upkeep on her. It sat covered and waiting until about two years ago when it was moved onto grass and uncovered. By the time I found out where it was sitting rust was already showing up on the exterior and the interior had mold all over the headliner. At that point I just thought the difficulty of my restoration project had gone through the roof but still planned on doing it.

This past year I was gearing up to start the restoration and then I came across an 81 with only 38k miles on it. Same color, same interior, just mint. I jumped on that purchase and now it's my daily driver. In all reality there is no way I can restore the old 82 and now my brother is setting up to move and has asked me what I plan to do with it. I don't want to just send it to a junk yard to get scrapped but that's where she's headed. But like I said, first I wanted to see if anyone from the community would need anything from it. In part or the whole car, for free of course but you would need to pick it up in SC. It sounds like I'm working with a May/June deadline.

Hit me up if you are interested or have any questions.

-Cheers

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Free 82 for Parts in South Carolina
PostPosted: April 26th, 2015, 2:29 pm 

Would you consider shipping parts? Wichita, KS to south carolina is quite a road trip! :lol:

PostPosted: April 26th, 2015, 4:36 pm 

I too would be interested in paying to have parts small shipped.

Let us know if you can do it!

PostPosted: April 26th, 2015, 11:54 pm 

Unfortunately I live in California and my brother travels often. I was hoping someone would be willing to pick the car up or maybe pull their own specific parts. I'm not sure how much help we can be on our end.

I do know my brother planned on pulling a few parts for me in a couple weeks though. Specifically the vent on the passenger's side behind the rear quarter window (on the C pillar) and possibly the orange turn signals on the front bumper.

I guess it would depend on the difficulty of the part pull as to whether or not we can help. Within reason I'm sure we can pull some parts. Like I mentioned though, I'm hoping someone would be willing to take the whole car because what's left will just get scrapped.

PostPosted: April 27th, 2015, 10:01 am 

Thats a shame. i even got estimates on shipping a non running car that far but the cheapest estimate i could find wss around 1200. And i only paid 1000 for my current 1g from oklahoma. I sincerely hope someone takes you up on your offer. I would love to see it find a good home and be recycled into the community.

PostPosted: April 27th, 2015, 8:38 pm 

Here are pictures and short descriptions of the small parts I am missing. They should all be less than 5 minute removal.

Interior door cups
I have red interior but if they are black that would also be fine.

Sunvisors
I hace mine, but they are wrinkly and spit foam at my face through the busted seam.

Rear side trim
Well yeah mine is just gone

Front drivers side headlight bezel
Also, missing this

Any help with the above would be very appreciated.

PostPosted: April 30th, 2015, 12:48 am 

Sup MstrBlk,

The door cups and visors are easy to pull and ship for sure but the exterior components would be more difficult. Let me know if you plan on heading over to SC to pull these. If so we can set up a weekend when maybe my brother can help.

Btw it looks like your rear driver's side panel is dented in. That's part of the body not just a replaceable panel. You will need body work to get the rear bumper to fit properly. I'm guessing you already knew this but I just wanted to make sure you weren't planning on pulling a rear fender panel.

PostPosted: April 30th, 2015, 4:45 pm 

There is absolutely no shortage of dings and dents on this car. Haha. Yea I am paying Joe craigslist body guy to pull the dents. I'm going to use a good body filler and smooth out a lot of the car before painting.

Awesome, I am willing to pay for shipping and time taken to pull the parts, and maybe an additonal amount for the part itself. I won't go cheap on ya and you could probabably put it all in one flat rate box together.

Unfortunately, I won't be travelling through otherwise I'd pull it all myself and still pay ya.

Anything you can help with would be great. A crowbar or flathead screwdriver could remove the chrome front trim and rear trim very fast

PostPosted: April 30th, 2015, 5:06 pm 

I may remove the rear bumper cover and smooth out with body filler, along with the rest of the body trim. I think the cars hood flows pretty well with the side trim, but I am willing to give it a shot. Hell, the car was only $1200. Why not use it as a canvas to practice a skill?

Nonetheless, I still would like to purchase the rear trim from ya.

I'll send you a PM