It is currently October 20th, 2017, 1:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: My 1981 EL and 1982 EK
PostPosted: February 28th, 2017, 10:12 pm 

Hello everyone. I know this site has very little traffic and isn't all that active but i thought i would share my story. I picked up a 1981 honda prelude this past summer. Instantly loved the look and feel of the car. Unfortunately after spending some time on the web I found very little when it came to resources and aftermarket support. I guess thats the beauty of owning a old honda. So after purchasing it I had a few things to do, typical fluid swap and also the cv boots were all torn so i ended up replacing the full cv axles. I drove it as it was for a few months until i noticed the carb starting to fail. It was parked and i jumped back online to see what i could find. I opted for the Weber carb conversion as i thought it would not only solve my carb issue but give me a little upgrade. I ordered a 32/36 carb kit and after patiently waiting it arrived. I spent the next afternoon ripping the old carb out until i got down to the intake manifold. Up until now i just assumed i had an EK. it wasn't until i lined one of the adaptor plated up that i knew i messed up. Super dumb move on my part, I still don't really understand how i didn't catch that. So that brings us to about a month ago, when i found a american imported EK in Vancouver. it didn't run and had carb issues as well. I sprung on the opportunity and went over there and slapped my weber carb on in an afternoon. So i am now currently in possession of 1981 1.6 Canadian spec EL in red and a 1.8 US EK in grey. The 1.8 currently has the weber carb and the 1.6 is currently without a carb. On a positive note i have come into ownership of another 32/36 weber carb. unfortunately i don't have adaptor plates of the 1.6 if anyone knows what plates i need pleas feel free to point me in the right direction. Here is a link to some pictures.

https://plus.google.com/101890098650002819773/posts/guDzJHqj7QX

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: My 1981 EL and 1982 EK
PostPosted: April 15th, 2017, 3:32 am 

Welcome to the boards. I drive an 81 that I picked up few years ago as well. I ended up rebuilding the stock carburator but I was curious about getting the Weber too. Anything to give the car a bit more pep is always welcome.

As far as finding an adaptor plate, that may be a tough one. As you've noticed it's a very small community. I'm not sure if that 1.6 was on the civics as well but if so, it may broaden your chances of scoring one.

You can also try "this old Honda" dot com. They have a fairly active community that may be able to help. They have a bulletin board that you could post on as well as their forms.

Good luck, keep us posted!

PostPosted: April 17th, 2017, 4:07 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Welcome the forum Hansonp :D , great looking SN you have there. The pages here are a little slow due to the community size like Cyco9 said, but we can try to help you out.

As for the EL find, that stinks you had to go through all of that to figure out what it was. The EL and EK are quite different with their head and intake designs, so it's no wonder the plates are different. You will have to source an adapter set for a Canadian or European engine due to their standard usage in those countries. I'll try to look into it more for you to see what I can find out.

PostPosted: June 24th, 2017, 1:26 am 

Thanks for the help guys. I'm at the stage where I'm parting the 81. Pulling the parts that i may use. the 82 is running well and just needs a little bit of love and maybe paint. I'm pulling everything that i can from the 81. if anyone needs parts let me know.

Thanks for the response guys, i really appreciate it. ill give the sit you recommended a go as well.

Cheers